"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Thursday, May 19, 2011

God Is Reigning Still

I had already written a post that I planned to share with you today, but then I saw where a friend had posted a link on facebook to Lysa Terkeurst’s blog. I normally would not be very interested in reading something like that since Lysa Terkeurst’s ministry is a women’s ministry; however, I read the first few lines under the link on facebook and realized that I needed to read the whole thing.

No matter who you are, you need to read this. If you are a born-again believer, I pray that this will encourage you in your walk with Him. If you don’t know Him, I pray that what Lysa Terkeurst had to say will wake you up and cause you to see your need for him.

I couldn’t sleep last night.  Every few hours I slipped from peace into a foggy realization, something happened.  And sorrow spilled over until I was fully awake.  Fully aware.  Fully remembering.

It was raining. I pulled up to my daughter’s high school frustrated I had to park.  Frustrated I had to walk through the rain.  Frustrated I had to sign some papers she’d forgotten to bring home.  It was a little after 3pm.

Teenagers were everywhere.  Laughing.  Chatting.  Making plans.  Rushing out.  Rushing past.  Rushing home.

It was raining.  We pulled into the driveway and started the afternoon routines.  Homework.  Errands. Dinner. Laughter. Clean the table.  Clean your room.  And please don’t spill that fingernail polish on my bedroom carpet.  It was a little after 8pm.

And that’s when we heard the news.

It was raining. A boy was driving home with his older brother just after 3pm.  Just after sitting in his last class with my daughter, Ashley. The brother’s car slipped sideways and into the path of another.  The younger brother didn’t make it.  Ashley carried her laptop to the kitchen table and asked me to sit and look at his facebook.  His pictures.  His life.

How could this be?  She couldn’t process it.  She couldn’t understand it.  She couldn’t believe it was true.

It was raining.  I took this girl of mine into my arms and kissed the top of her head.  Kissed this moment.  Kissed this reality.  Kissed the realization of how quickly everything can change.  Not that I should fear each moment.  Fear doesn’t change anything.  Fear doesn’t shift the Sovereignty of God.  No, I shouldn’t fear. 

But, I should be aware. Be fully present. Savor the moments. See today for the gift it is. This hug.  This kiss.  This conversation. Even that frustration of having to walk in rain to sign those papers.  Little did I know I was walking the halls of school that would soon be filled with tears.

It was raining.  But here is the hope. God is reigning. 

He reigns still.  That’s where I’ve parked my hope though the tears slip from my eyes.  That’s what allowed me to still let my teen drivers pull out of my driveway today.  He reigns.  And because He reigns I know this isn’t all there is.  I know.

And with a shaky heart and tear filled eyes I whisper, “Help us God.  Help them God. Help us to know. Even when it is raining.”

Please pray for the Pappa’s family.

Is this true in your own life today? If it isn’t, it can be. If you do not know Jesus Christ as Lord of your life, it is impossible for you to understand the hope that this lady has. You can have that hope, too. Jesus is that hope. Give your heart and your life completely over to Him today. Simply repent of your sin and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. If you do that, He will save you today and keep you saved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!