"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Monday Night Thoughts


Train up a child in the way he should go:
and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

The one major thing that has been all over the news lately is the movie theater shooting that took place in Aurora, Colorado last Friday night. As we were watching the story on the news last night, my mother said to me, “Wouldn’t you hate to be his parents right now? Don’t you know everyone who sees them is going to think, ‘Oh, your son is the one who shot all of those innocent people’”? My response may shock you. I simply said, “Well, I think they should be held responsible.”

Why do I think that his parents should be held responsible for a crime that he has done? Proverbs 22:6 tells me that if parents will “train up a child in the way he should go…when he is old, he will not depart from it.” And because of that verse, I believe that one’s parenting skills can be judged quite fairly by the actions of his children.

Now I am going to say something that some may think unfair: it is easier to come to an accurate conclusion about one’s parenting skills based on a child’s poor and rebellious behavior than it is based on a child’s good and honest behavior. Just because a child walks uprightly does not mean that his parents do the same. However, whenever you come across a child whose heart is full of rebellion, you will almost always find that one or both of his parents failed to take to heart Proverbs 22:6.

While I am not married and I do not have any children of my own, I have seen enough people my age ruin their lives to know a thing or two about parenting. Several years ago, I began to look at the lives of people I know, and I began to put two and two together. The ones whose parents let them make their own choices about everything seemed to always get mixed up with the wrong crowd. However, the ones whose parents sheltered and protected them from all evil proved to be more than capable, mature adults when time came for them to leave their parents’ nests.

Tomorrow, I will share with you what I believe to be the number one key to fulfilling Proverbs 22:6; or, as Ray Comfort says, “bringing your child to Christ and keeping him there.”

If you do not know Jesus Christ as Lord of your life, I invite you to do so right now, before it is eternally too late for you. If you will repent of your sins and trust Christ alone to save you, He will save you today and keep you saved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!