"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Friday, January 11, 2013

Thoughtless Loyalty


I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalm 34:1

If I had to pick only two words to describe my grandmother, those words would have to be “thoughtless loyalty.” Now I know what you’re thinking. “What did he just say”? I know at first glance those two words do not seem to go together at all. In fact, if anything, they seem like total opposites. However, I think that once I explain what I mean you will see that they work together perfectly in this particular area of life that I want us to think about today.

When I was a kid, my grandmother was constantly pointing us to Jesus. She was constantly saying things like, “Jesus likes it when we…” or “Jesus doesn’t like it when we…” It was almost like she said it without even thinking. He was always on her mind, and she was always relating our current situation—whatever that may have been at the time—back to Him and His Word. She was thoughtlessly loyal to her Lord.

I remember her telling me a story a few years ago that illustrated this perfectly. My grandmother works as a cashier in a school cafeteria. One particular day she caught a young boy stealing. In her usual fashion, she looked down at him and said, “Jesus doesn’t like it when we steal.” Being the man of little faith that I am, my first response was to say, “You could have lost your job!” You see, my grandmother works in a public school where it is forbidden for teachers to proclaim the name of the Lord. My response revealed my weakness. Her response revealed her strength, wisdom, and dedication to the God she loves, for she simply looked at me that day and said, “I said it without thinking.”

How I long to have the faith of my grandmother who has proven to be thoughtlessly loyal to her God. She knows that Jesus is the name “which is above every name,” and she is not afraid to proclaim it (Philippians 2:9). It does not matter where she is or who she is with. She knows that there is power in the name of the Lord, and she does not hesitate to speak it. May we all learn to be thoughtlessly loyal to the Lord our God, speaking His name first and thinking about how it will be received later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!