"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Monday, September 16, 2013

Living the Word

She looketh well to the ways of her household,
and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praiseth her.
Many daughters have done virtuously,
but thou excellest them all.
Proverbs 31:27-29

I’m sure any regular readers that I have will soon become tired of reading about my grandmothers, but I will never become tired of writing about them. My grandmothers are my heroes. They are not my heroes merely because of who they are, my grandmothers, or because of what they have done. No. They are my heroes because of the things that they have done because of who they are. My grandmothers are also my heroes because of what they have taught me just by living their lives. My father’s mother in particular has taught me what it truly means to live, to love, to give the way that Jesus did, expecting nothing in return.

Perhaps the first time I ever noticed the selfless and giving spirit of my grandmother was around her dinner table. Anyone who has ever eaten at her house knows that my grandmother is always the last one in line to fix her plate (we’ve always eaten kind of buffet style, helping our plates from the kitchen counter before sitting down at the table). Not only that, but you will usually find my grandmother eating standing up at the kitchen counter because there are no seats left by the time she has finished serving everyone else. Someone will almost always offer her their seat, but she always refuses.

When I walk around my college campus and I look at the people around me, I don’t see juvenile delinquents. No. I see young people who are hurting because they have no heroes. I see a whole generation of people who have made their own way in life because they had no one to pattern their lives after; they had no one to rub off on them. They may have had parents and grandparents who made rules for them, but they had no living examples of Christ’s selfless, unchanging love; they had no one to model the Word of God for them. Parents, this is the biggest mistake you can ever make with your children.

I used to get so mad at my grandmother growing up because I thought she hated everything. But then one day I woke up and I realized that not only was she quoting the Bible, but she was living it. It’s one thing to teach your children something, but it’s another thing entirely to live it before their eyes. My grandmother is the most genuine person I know, and watching her has made me want to know Him more.

Parents, listen to me. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s this: Your children may not always hear what you say, but they always notice the life that you live. Let them see you on your knees before the Lord. Let them see you leaning over an open Bible. Let them see you giving all you have for Him because He gave all He had for you. You make God’s Word come alive for them that they may truly see.

If you are here today and you do not know Jesus as the Lord of your life, I plead with you to please come to do so before it is eternally too late for you. If you will repent of all sin and trust Jesus Christ alone to save you, He will save you today and keep you saved forever. No one who has ever come to Him in true repentance and faith has He ever turned away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!