"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Family After God’s Own Heart

And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king,
to whom also He gave testimony and said,
‘I have found David the son of Jesse,
a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’
Acts 13:22


Today being the day after Valentine’s Day, I really wanted to write something concerning love, marriage, and family; however, as hard as I tried, I just couldn’t seem to find the words to say. Therefore I thought that I would post the below video of Jim Bob and Michele Duggar sharing their life-story. If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you’ve no doubt heard me say many times that marriage is first and foremost a journey of faith—two people coming together to serve God together in a way that they never could apart from one another. I’ve not encountered a couple yet who illustrates that concept and lives it better than Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.

When it comes to marriage, there are two points in this video that really caught my attention. The first one is that Michelle realized that it was God’s will for her to marry a man who had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and who talked about Him in such a way that revealed his overwhelming love for Him. Secondly, Jim Bob realized that it is God’s will for the husband to be the spiritual leader of the home. If you are thinking about marrying a person whose very presence does not cause you to hunger and thirst for the Lord Jesus and His Word, I can promise you on the authority of the Word of God that it is not God’s will for you to marry that person as they are.

When it comes to parenting, there is one major point that I got out of this video. That one point is that parenthood is a special calling; not something that just happens out of the blue. The Bible makes it plain that every child is formed by the hands of God with a very specific plan and purpose to fulfill. Jeremiah 1:5 says, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.” As God has a plan for all children, He also has a plan for all parents to “train up a child in the way he should go: [that] when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6).

When it comes to life, the one thing I took away from this video is to “cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved” (Psalm 55:22). Michelle suggested that we let the joy of the Lord be our strength (Nehemiah 8:10), and I couldn’t agree more. Philippians 4:4 says to “rejoice in the Lord always.” God has blessed each and every one of us beyond measure. Even in our darkest moments, we can still praise His name, knowing that He will see us through.

Please take the time to watch this video. I get something new out of it every time I watch it. I’ll even let you in on a little secret—I’ve often said that I want to marry Michelle Duggar’s much younger twin. When you watch this video, I believe you’ll see why. The Duggars truly are a family after God’s own heart. I know you’re going to be blessed by their testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!