"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Monday, May 30, 2011

Call Out and Be Saved

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:13

The above verse is one of the many verses that are commonly known as the “whosoever wills” of the Bible. This one, however, is by far my absolute favorite because it essentially takes all of the other “whosoever will” verses and combines them all into one. In order to fully understand this verse we must first understand what it means to be saved.

Perhaps the best definition of salvation that I have ever heard is this: We are immediately saved from the punishment of sin; we are constantly being saved from the power of sin; and we will ultimately be saved from the presence of sin. I first heard that definition of salvation from Dr. David Jeremiah. However, I believe that that is something that every Christian ought to write down and commit to memory. If we would keep that definition of salvation in our hearts and in our minds, I believe that our lives would be drastically changed.

You see, I believe that once a person has come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ he often forgets that he still needs to be saved from the power of sin on a daily and even hourly basis. Sure, the above verse is talking about the first step of salvation; however, we must not fail to see that it is talking about the second step of salvation, also. Just as we cannot be saved from the everlasting punishment of sin without calling upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we cannot be saved from the daily attacks of Satan without calling upon the name of the Lord, either.

I think Lulu Roman pretty much nailed this concept in her song “When I Don’t Call Your Name.” While I do not know for sure that Lulu Roman wrote the lyrics to the song, whoever wrote it has an awesome understanding of what it means to truly live victoriously. The chorus of the song says this:

When I don’t call YOUR name,
Life’s just not the same,
Taking time out to pray
Makes such a difference in my life,
When I don’t call YOUR name,
Each step is in vain,
For me there’s no way
To make it through each day,
When I don’t call YOUR name.

Later on in her song it says, “Everywhere I go/ Temptation follows me/ Looking for a moment when I’m weak.” Friend, let me tell you something. As the old song says, we cannot even walk without Him holding our hands. Proverbs 3:5 says to “trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” It is only when we venture off on our own that we fall prey to the devil. However, in the name of Jesus he must flee.

How often during the day do you call upon Him? We ought to wake up saying, “Lord, I woke up today and I am still here. What do you want me to do today”? And we must not forget to pray, “Father, deliver us from the evil one.” Whatever it is that you are going through, there is nothing that has power over the name of Jesus. Friend, there really is no way that we can make it through the day, if we do not call His name.

As I bring this post to a close, I just want to ask you one question: Do you know Him? You cannot know everyday deliverance without first knowing Jesus as Lord. Please, if you do not know Him today, simply repent of your sin and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. If you do that, He will save you today and keep you saved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!