"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why Atheism?

Saturday morning, I woke up with this thought: “Out of all the religions in this world to choose from, why would anyone want to choose atheism, in which there is no hope whatsoever”? Although the only real hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ, every religion but atheism promises some hope of some kind. I have always believed that atheists reject God due the sin in their own lives; however, why not try to have both God and sin? There are plenty of people that believe that, as long as you don’t commit some outlandish crime, you will still end up in Heaven. There are plenty of people that say, “My god is a god of love who would never send anyone to Hell.” Why not be one of those people instead of an atheist? I believe I have found the answer. I believe that the atheist knows that the gods of every false religion do not exist; I believe that the atheist knows in his heart that the God of the Bible is the one and only true God; I believe that the atheist has come so close to salvation yet chose sin instead; and ultimately I believe that the atheist has denied the existence of Almighty God as a way of saying, “If none of those other gods are real, You are not either!”

I believe that, if the atheist did not know the Gospel truth, he would not go to such an extreme of denying God. After all, who has ever run away from someone that they know does not exist? Atheists are no more than run away children. They hate God. They hate the house of God, the rules of God; they despise anything at all to do with God.

The truth is, however, atheists are not children of God at all. As the old song says, “To be God’s children, you’ve got to be born again.” The atheist is like an orphaned child who refuses to be adopted. He has been on his own ever since he can remember, doing whatever he sets his mind to do; however, now there is someone who wants to change that. He refuses. He says, “This is my life. I am going to do what I want to do when I want to do it, and you cannot stop me. Who do you think you are to try to take over my life?!”

An atheist might see the above situation and say, “Why, those people are just trying to help that child. Who does he think he is to refuse such love”? My friend, if you are an atheist and you just made that statement, I am here today to tell you that you are an utter hypocrite. You have been doing the same thing with God for years. Galatians 3:26 says, “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.” He wants nothing more than to save you, protect you, deliver you, yet you have refused Him.

Romans 5:8 says that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” The wonder of Christianity is that God loves the people that hate Him the most. My friend, if bloody Calvary cannot convince you of His love for you, there is nothing in this world that can. Ray Comfort wisely said that “when you reject God’s mercy in Jesus Christ, you aren’t rejecting a religion. You are rejecting the most precious thing in the universe--life itself.” Romans 5:12 says that “through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all [have] sinned.” However, Jesus said in John 10:10, “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”

While sin can only bring death, Jesus can only bring life. He died and then rose on the third day, defeating Hell and the grave. Because of His redeeming love, you can be set free from sin to experience life eternal. My friend, the Father really does know what is best for you. If you will repent of your sin and confess Jesus Christ as Lord of your life, he will save you today and keep you saved forever.

1 comment:

  1. You know Tommy I have to be honest, I don't think you have a clue. At all. The first sentence of your post shows this. Beliefs aren't something someone actively chooses, they are necessarily arrived at due to the information one has and how one processes it. You'll recall I first commented on your blog to correct misconceptions about atheists. And yours are legion.

    The reason some people are atheist is because in the sum total of their knowledge and personal experience they are unconvinced that a god exists. That's all there is to it. It is the simplest and most effective explanation and it also happens to be correct. But it's not what the Bible says which is apparently why you can't accept it. Instead you have to come up with these elaborate explanations to rationalize it to yourself and make it fit with the good book. It's sad really, that it so warps your way of seeing other people.

    I wonder if you even bothered to ask an atheist any of this before you reached your conclusion. Do you even know one? Anyone in your friends or family? If you really want to know "Why Atheism?", all you have to do is ask. And if you don't know one, let me kindly suggest and challenge you to reach out. There's a show called the Atheist Experience that takes calls and I'd strongly recommend you give them a call sometime. It seems like you have a lot to say on the subject and they'd be happy to hear you out. They would probably give you the whole hour. It's the same show that your buddy Ray called into a few weeks ago btw. I don't need to say he was treated with respect as are all the callers so you've really nothing to lose.

    That being said thanks for tolerating me this long and I wish you the best of luck. You've got a long way to go but maybe someday you can understand, for real, why other people see the world differently than you.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!