"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Thankful God’s Not Like Me

Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6

Have you ever started something that you never finished? I have—lots of times. I’m notorious for starting one thing, getting distracted by another thing, and never finishing either one. It’s kind of like a vicious cycle that never ends. However, aren’t you thankful that God’s not like that?! The Bible tells us in Philippians 1:6 that God always finishes what He’s started, and there’s no exceptions to that rule.

Back in the summer, I wrote a post that I titled “Though I Do Not See” in which I explained the importance of trusting that God still has a plan for our lives even though we may not be able to see it at the time. At the time I wrote that, I was going through a real low point in my life. It seemed as though everything was spinning out of control around me, and I often questioned the Lord about it. If He had a plan for me, I couldn’t see what it was. But that doesn’t matter to God. You see, Adrian Rogers used to say that “faith is like a roll of film—it develops best in the dark.” God uses the dark times to strengthen our faith the most because, if we can learn to trust Him in the dark hours, we should have no problem trusting Him when the sun is shining bright.

It was that June night, in a hotel room by myself, that I made the decision to trust that God really did have a plan for my life and that He really was working all things together for my good (Romans 8:28). I couldn’t see it then, but God saw; and that was good enough for me. But let me tell you, that wasn’t the end of the struggle. A few months later, God allowed some things to happen in my life that I would have never planned myself. In fact, I cried out to Him, “What are you doing, Lord?! I don’t understand. It’s not supposed to happen this way.” But if everything happened the way we thought it should, there’d be no need for faith.

Just as everything I had ever hoped and planned for in life seemed to crumble before me, God sent a very special person into my life to reveal that He had something even better in store for me. Now, I’m at a place in my life that I never dreamed would be possible. God is so good! I may not finish everything I start, but I’m so glad He does. And the amazing part about it is He’s not finished yet.

Do you know the Lord? Have you come face to face with the fact that you are indeed a sinner in desperate need of Savior? If not, I plead with you to do so before it is eternally too late for you. Turn from all sin and trust Jesus alone to save you. If you will do that, He will save you today and keep you saved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!