"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Ultimate Oxymoron (6/10/2010)

Today, I attended my great-great-aunt's funeral. Most people think of funerals as being very sad occasions. However, I am not one of those people--when I know that person had trusted Jesus as their Savior. Therefore, the "ultimate oxymoron" I am talking about is "awesome funeral service."

First of all, between receiving friends and the funeral, all of the family gathered around to pray. As the pastor was praying, he referred to the funeral as a worship service. That, of course, made my day because I saw that somebody else also got the point of why we were gathered there today.

Second of all, when the pastor began his sermon, he said, "We are all gathered here today to celebrate." That, of course, made it even better. Most people probably think it's morbid to rejoice at a funeral. They think that a funeral should be a place of mourning. Most people expect you to be dressed in all black, tissues in hand. I just think that is so unfortunate.

A believer's funeral should be a place of rejoicing. It should be a huge going-home party. Because that is exactly what they're doing (or have done)--they're going home to be with the Lord. I say forget the tissues and dark clothing--let's have us a good ole time praising the Lord for the legacy that person left and the fact that one day we will see Him face to face as well.

I was probably the only one in that room that never stopped smiling. I've said several times that we ought not be sad when a believer goes to be with the Lord; if anything, they're sad that we still have to be here. Heaven just gets sweeter and sweeter everyday. I can't wait until I stand before my Savior, and all I can do is praise His name.

So, the next time you're at a funeral, think about what I said. Think about Heaven. And think about the Savior. You do that, and God will put a smile on your face too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!