"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

After Reading (6/25/2010)

If you remember, I first recommended this book to y'all nearly three weeks ago. However that was before I was even half way finished with the book. Now, that I have finished the book completely, I can honestly say that it is one of the best books I have ever read (and probably will ever read).

If I were to give the book my own creative title, it would have to be What Will You Be Doing When Jesus Comes. When you read the book, I think you will agree that that title would be very appropriate. I say that because that is essentially the books main focus.

Over and over again, Dr. Jeremiah makes the point, that if you wouldn't want to be caught doing it when Jesus returns, you shouldn't do it at all. That is probably the one thing that will always stand out in my mind the most about this book. However, I will never be able to forget some of Dr. Jeremiah's stories either.

Dr. Jeremiah has an awesome way of incorporating stories into his sermons and his books (well, at least this one). I really want you to read the book, so I don't want to say too much. However, I will share the one story that touched me the most.

In the second chapter, Stay Compassionate, Dr. Jeremiah shares a story about a teenage girl who was responsible for the tragic death of a bicyclist. The girl, Shannon Ethridge, was attempting to put on lipstick while driving down the road, when she struck and killed a bicyclist. The most amazing part of this story is that, upon being told of his wife's death, the bicyclist's husband's first response was, "How is the girl? Was she hurt?" The man was able to forgive Shannon for what she had done, and insisted that all charges against her be dropped. He was, then, able to be an encouragement to her for many years to come.

That particular story really spoke to me because I knew that I probably would not have reacted that way. The only reason that man was able to do what he did was because of the power of Jesus living within him.

That is only one of the many powerful stories written within this incredible book. I pray that you would read it. So far, I believe that every Christian should be required to read two particular books within their lifetime: this book and The Way of the Master.

Please, buy this book today. And if you don't buy it, at least borrow it from a friend. Trust me, you'll be forever glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!