"The key to understanding the Bible is to look for Jesus in the Bible. Jesus is the hero of the Bible. If you read the Bible and don't find Jesus, re-read it! The Bible has one hero, His name is Jesus; one villain, that is Satan; one problem, that is sin; one solution, that is salvation. That is what the Bible is all about." -Dr. Adrian Rogers

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Television: What to Watch? (5/6/2010)

Growing up, I would have never dreamed that I would be writing a blog post on why I now watch very little television. You see, growing up, television was my life. It wasn't until about six or seven months ago that television became a lot less attractive to me.

I'm not against television, I'm just against what's on it. There's just nothing even halfway decent on anymore. Growing up, I watched shows like Full House, The Cosby Show, and Family Matters. Now, those shows, and other shows like them, rarely come on anymore. And even if they did, I would only still recommend one of them--The Cosby Show. This is because of the contents and motives of the other two.

Sure, both Full House and Family Matters seem to support good family values. However, they are both littered with blasphemy. Now, I'm sure a lot of you are saying to yourselves, "It's just part of the society we live in. Just as long as you don't repeat it, it's fine." I have to highly disagree with that statement. I have become convinced over the past several months or so that blasphemy and profanity are not okay under any circumstances. And what people don't understand is that every time you watch one of those shows you are supporting every part of it.

Secondly, the people acting in those two shows made those shows for the wrong reasons. They did it because that was their job. Their hearts weren't in it. Whereas, on The Cosby Show, those actors did the show because they genuinely wanted to make a difference in people's lives. You might think that's not important and shouldn't determine whether or not you watch a particular show, but I do. Actually, I feel very strongly about it. If the people making the show didn't agree with the contents of the show, then the show is a giant lie and has no ultimate purpose.

So, what shows do I recommend? Well, pretty much the only show I watch nowadays is 19 Kids and Counting. I truly believe that the Duggars are in the center of God's will for their lives, and I enjoy watching how God is working in their lives. They are so encouraging, and they have actually helped me to grow in my relationship with the Lord.

I believe that it is very important to surround ourselves with people and things that will encourage us and help us to grow in our relationship with the Lord. We were created for His glory and His honor, not our own. I believe everything we do should involve Him. If we have trusted His Son as Lord and Savior, He should be our reason for living anyway.

And for you people who think that no longer watching television will take all the fun out of your life, you're wrong. I actually think that not watching television has given me part of my life back that I was missing when I spent all day everyday watching television. I can honestly say that I don't miss watching television at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to help you. I want to be able to post all comments and questions you might have, so I ask that you follow a few rules in order for me to do that. Any questions/comments that don't follow these guidelines will be thrown out:

1. Absolutely no profane, blasphemous, or immoral comments.

2. Comments containing links will not be approved.

3. Please keep your comments relevant to the post on which you are commenting. All irrelevant comments will be rejected. Remember, your comments should be helpful to other readers as well.

Thank you so much for reading!